Re: Robustness Check and "A growing body of ad-hoc analysis solutions"

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: Robustness Check and "A growing body of ad-hoc analysis solutions"
Date: 09 Jul 1999 09:18:29 -0700

RP> I gather that there is no easy way native to Swarm to repeat simulations?

If you are comfortable with Swarm, meaning that it isn't hard for you
translate your ABM idea into code for Actions, Schedules, and Swarms and all
that, then ExperimentSwarm is a natural generalization.  ExperimentSwarm
is the same machinery applied to parameter sweeps instead of agent
behavior.

We distribute a demo implementation of this idea with the tutorial
apps.  (simpleExperBug is one of the more complex examples.)

RP> Do I have an accurate sense of the repetition situation in Swarm?

Schedules have a repeat interval feature, so there is certainly
infrastructure for repeating simulations.

There are many applications of the Swarm activity library machinery, but
until a person fully understands how to use some simple features (in
the context of their conceptual model), has a good grasp of the C
programming language, and can run the debugger to some extent, it is
just silly to link-in unpolished third party prototype on faith.  This
is not to say that using prototype software is bad, provided it is
feasible for evaluate the package (e.g. by looking at the implementation
or experimenting with simple test programs).