Re: Finding out why Swarm won't install...

From: Paul E. Johnson
Subject: Re: Finding out why Swarm won't install...
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 00:37:19 -0500

Darren Schreiber wrote:

> I downloaded the file "swarm-with-hdf5-1.4.1-3rh6.src.rpm"
> from Paul Johnson's site.
>
> I typed the command "rpm -ivh ..." followed by the filename.
> The # signs scrolled across the screen.
>
> I tried make... same error.
>
> I loaded in a new copy of the swarm src and then typed the rpm command
> again.  Then did ./configure and make again.  Still the same error.
>
> I am not sure what the result of Paul's rpm should have been or when in the
> install sequence I need to use it.  When I have used rpm's in the past, I
> have been given a directory that I entered and used configure, make, and
> make install.  This time I couldn't find any new directory.
>
> Can you guide me along on this?  I am not sure what I am doing wrong.  I am
> really a Linux newbie and don't have much intuition around this type of
> problems.
>
>         Darren

When you install a SRPM as you did, it puts the source in
/usr/src/redhat/SOURCE and the spec file in /usr/src/redhat/SPEC. You
can then go into the SPEC dir, look at the spec file to see how I built
it, make changes you want, and then build your own rpm with

rpm -bb swarm.XXXX. spec              (whatever XXXX is some version
number)

If you just want to see the patches I applied to the source, look in the
source dir, they are laid out. If you want, you can just untar the
source somewhere, apply those patches, and then try to do ./configure
and make, as usual.

--
Paul E. Johnson                         email: address@hidden
Dept. of Political Science              http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn