Re: BLT2.4i needed for Swarm on SuSE 6.1 or how to install a working

From: Jan Kreft
Subject: Re: BLT2.4i needed for Swarm on SuSE 6.1 or how to install a working working-environment
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 18:13:07 +0100 (BST)

Marcus,

On 3 Aug 1999, Marcus G. Daniels wrote:

> JK> First of all, why did I have to reinstall everything?
>
> Probably because you are using a Linux-based system without versioned
> binary distribution for Swarm and its dependent libraries, and IIRC, a
> rather old one at that.  We don't test Swarm on libc5 Linux-based
> systems, and only minimally on current (libc6) Debian GNU/Linux systems.

The question was meant as an introduction to what I did and why I did it.
I did not complain about installing software, which is pretty easy, but
about bugs in these software packages and the time required to find them.

OK, the system is about three months old. SuSE 6.1 is based on glibc-2.0.
Actually, I don't want to upgrade my system every other month as I have
other, more productive things to do.

> Package managers like Debian's dpkg or Redhat's rpm make it easy and
> reliable to install a package with many dependent libraries.  In fact,
> for almost all software packages that run on these systems, it is
> more common that not that there are many dependent libraries.

SuSE uses rpm packages. You said yourself that using rpms for Redhat
systems on a SuSE or other system doesn't make sense, so I didn't. But not
because SuSE doesn't support using rpms.