Re: Dig this, Mandrake knew the problem with E and Swarm!

From: Sven N. Thommesen
Subject: Re: Dig this, Mandrake knew the problem with E and Swarm!
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 17:33:43 -0500

At 03:36 PM 10/18/1999 -0500, you wrote:
OK, I contacted Mandrake at VAResearch and he knew instantly what the
problem was with E and Swarm, Here is is answer:

<snip the answer>

So as long as you use only the first Desktop, window positions are saved
fine.  Oh, I'm so happy.

My sim is old enough that it has hardcoded in it widget placement commands (using -setWindowGeometry) and that works fine even on desktops beyond the first under E+Gnome ;-)

On the other hand, if you haven't tried it yet you'll be overjoyed to hear that png snapshots do *not* work beyond desktop 0 ! And even on desktop 0, it appears that despite Marcus's best efforts to make sure the widget being copied is ON TOP, that task bar at the bottom of the screen insists on being on top, covering parts of widgets. Drat! Isn't new technology wonderful ...

Well, I KNOW that Fvwm2 (Redhat's "AnotherLevel") works, so I guess it's back to that clunky-looking retro thing until Gnome and KDE and E get their respective acts together.

Sven