Re: Dig this, Mandrake knew the problem with E and Swarm!

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: Dig this, Mandrake knew the problem with E and Swarm!
Date: 18 Oct 1999 16:11:09 -0700

PJ> So as long as you use only the first Desktop, window positions are saved
PJ> fine.  Oh, I'm so happy.

AFAIK, multi-desktop management cannot be done portably by Swarm or
any other X11 application.  There isn't a standard set of X properties
to request window managers to control absolute visibility.  The design
of X11 is such that window managers actually get to manage.

If someone becomes aware of these properties being implemented in
multiple window managers, please point me at URLs for the
documentation for these properties and URLs for the window managers.
As of a couple months ago, there was alpha-quality code in two window
managers for using these incomplete GNOME window management
properties.

Unless a SDG member prefers otherwise, my attitude is that targeting
multiple, incomplete non-standards for nothing more than `desktop
management' is a timesink that does not serve science or the Swarm community.