Re: cons error from other than .swarmArchiver ? -- solved

From: Catherine Dibble
Subject: Re: cons error from other than .swarmArchiver ? -- solved
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 10:48:07 -0800

At 10:12 AM Monday 12/13/99 , Marcus G. Daniels wrote:
>CD> Tried it both with and without .swarmArchiver
>CD> in $SWARMHOME.  I still get this error message:
>
>Hmm, that .swarmArchiver file looks fine to me.  Is it possible that
>HOME is != SWARMHOME on that system?  (HOME is where Swarm looks for
>.swarmArchiver.)

Yes indeed!  I'm used to checking SWARMHOME, but hadn't realized
that .swarmArchiver uses HOME.  HOME=SWARMHOME on my
laptop, so this had never come up.

The lesson here is that:
.bash_login and .swarmArchiver both use HOME
If you want these to persist across reinstallations of Swarm,
it may be a good thing to set HOME != SWARMHOME so
that these are stored in a separate directory, such as \
Or if you want to keep them all together, store them in
SWARMHOME, but remember to rescue them when
you upgrade.

Alternatively, if you keep them in HOME=C:\ then remember
to update or fix (as needed) .bash_login and .swarmArchiver
there rather than in SWARMHOME.

thanks Marcus!  8)

Catherine