Re: swarm and database

From: Alex Lancaster
Subject: Re: swarm and database
Date: 14 Dec 1999 09:44:37 -0700

PJ> I thought PostGreSQL was the free and open alternative.  Is there
PJ> a reason you don't mention it?

Nope, just never used it, and it didn't pop into my head when I was
writing the e-mail.  MySQL was the database backing the 1999 Swarm
Survey.  Tim Carlson, our SFI sysadmin needed to install it for some
other reason, had some experience with it in the past, and the
Meta-HTML language (which generated the HTML pages for the survey) had
a nice API for it, so we used it.  PostGresSQL probably would have
been fine as well.

I don't pretend to be a database expert (caveat reader), but I have
used a number of commercial databases in the past (when I worked on
non-free software for internal corporate systems) such as Oracle and
Sybase.  From all accounts PostGresSQL is pretty good (I think
Benedikt is/was using it at some point).

Alex

--
Alex Lancaster * address@hidden * www.santafe.edu/~alex * 505 984-8800 x242
Santa Fe Institute (www.santafe.edu) & Swarm Development Group (www.swarm.org)