Re: W98 errors

From: Pietro Terna
Subject: Re: W98 errors
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 00:32:56 +0200

        Wordeful, it works perfectly, Pietro

At 20.00 25/03/00 -0800, you wrote:

Sorry for the delay..

PT> Moving the label of a bug (after opening a probe to the bug) to
PT> the 'graphBug:' method, in HeatbugObseverSwarm probe, gives a W98
PT> error and the program stops.

MD>  There are some hairy reentrancy / thread issues with the Tcl/Tk
MD> that Swarm 2.1 uses (same as 2.0.1, but apparently the
MD> more-multithreaded Cygwin triggers this problem on W98).  The good
MD> news is that recent Tcl versions have more robust thread support.
MD> I'll see if I can get a newer Tcl/Tk working tomorrow.

[Wow, that was a timesink.  I did get Tcl/Tk 8.3 working with Swarm on
Cygwin, but there was at least one deeper problem with Tcl bypassing
the Cygwin socket API.  Seeing how Scriptics has so little interest in
supporting free software tools, I didn't see much point in supporting
theirs.  Grumble.]

Here are some new DLLs that should workaround the problems in Tcl/Tk
on Cygwin:

  ftp://ftp.swarm.org/pub/swarm/binaries/w32/2.1-fixes

I updated the cygwin1.dll, too, since Doug mentioned he still saw the
"wait" problems.  I haven't seen that since the update on the 16th,
but I've been using the 19th since then, so maybe it there was
an additional fixes after the first -- both dates had ChangeLog entires
that could plausibly be fixes.