Re: Speed decrease between 2.0 and 2.1?

From: d . e . cox
Subject: Re: Speed decrease between 2.0 and 2.1?
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 19:06:59 -0400 (EDT)

        I too have seen a significant slow-down going to 2.1 from 2.0,
with 2.1.1 being about 8x slower.  This occurs both with the offical rpm's
from www.swarm.org, and Paul Johnson's optimized versions.  I'm using
a fairly stock RedHat 6.0 system on a dual Pentium II, with additional
packages,

  blt-2.4g-4
  kaffe-1.0.b4-2
  hdf5-1.2.1-1

but the code is strictly objc, no java, no hdf5 calls.  My attempts to
profile the code by just adding -pg to EXTRACPPFLAGS, EXTRAOBJFLAGS,
and EXTRALDFLAGS (in various combinations...) haven't produced any
gmon.out files.  Any pointers on profiling swarm models?

Thanks,
dave

  David E. Cox    address@hidden (757) 864-6658