Re: Speed decrease between 2.0 and 2.1?

From: Paul E. Johnson
Subject: Re: Speed decrease between 2.0 and 2.1?
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 19:36:34 -0500

"Marcus G. Daniels" wrote:

> DC> It seems like the createActionForEach call is very basic, and this
> DC> bottleneck will hit a lot of people.  I like the idea of a new
> DC> interface.
>
> Ok, done:
>
>   ftp://ftp.swarm.org/pub/swarm/src/testing/swarm-2000-05-23.tar.gz
>
> Another thing: in order to build a profiled version of Swarm for
> Windows, two files are needed in /Swarm-2.1.1/i686-pc-cygwin/lib:

I'm building for RH linux as we speak.  When you say "Ok, done" do you
mean that the createActionForEach reverts to its older, fast behavior,
or what?

Is there any penalty to "nonprofiling" usage of swarm when  I compile
swarm with -pg but don't use it to compile the application?  I could
just compile rpms that way for everybody, if there is no minus.  I've
read that -g imposes no penalty in file loading or execution, but don't
know about -pg.

Also, I've been building these against kaffe, and wonder what is the
recommendation these days concerning jikes (which version, still the old
0.47?) and the Blackdown JDK.  I got a memo from Borland announcing the
SDK 1.3, but I still see parallel development on Blackdown.  ALso, I
want to know why the development kit for Java 2 is using these version
numbers like 1.2.2 and 1.3.

You might say I have a lot of questions.  I would say why do you notice?

--
Paul E. Johnson                         email: address@hidden
Dept. of Political Science              http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn