Re: Speed decrease between 2.0 and 2.1?

From: d . e . cox
Subject: Re: Speed decrease between 2.0 and 2.1?
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 15:26:21 -0400 (EDT)

On 23-May-00 Marcus G. Daniels wrote:
> 2.1 slowed down for the heterogenous ForEach case (what you get
> with ActionForEach), because the lookup work for how to perform
> a message had to handle more contingencies.

This makes sense to me, at least at a high level.

I applied your patch, and it does speed things up, but it will require
some work to understand the structure of FCall/FArguments and how I
should apply this in the future.... more likely I'll need to drop back
to version 2.0 for now.

> But one idea would be to have a new interface like ActionForEachHomogenous.
> This could specialize the case of a no-parameter call into a simple
> pre-dispatched function call.  That ought to be faster than 2.0.1.

It seems like the createActionForEach call is very basic, and this
bottleneck will hit a lot of people.  I like the idea of a new
interface.  Homogeneous lists must cover a vast majority of cases, and
parameterless calls are common, so a new interface would certainly
find use.

>From an objc-centric view, it would be nice if the default "ForEach"
behavior covered the most common case (homogeneous), with specialized
calls for the heterogenous case.  But maybe this would break to many
existing simulations...

> Sorry if I'm not explaining this well.  Just ask and I'll try to clarify.
Thanks, for the quick work, both debugging and explaining...

dave

  David E. Cox    address@hidden (757) 864-6658