Re: Problems with Swarm on LinuxPPC

From: Alex Lancaster
Subject: Re: Problems with Swarm on LinuxPPC
Date: 26 May 2000 16:21:39 -0600

[...]

DS> So, I am going to try and install the new version of gcc and
DS> Swarm-2.1.1.

DS> What is the clean way to uninstall the old packages?

DS> I was using the rpm filename -e command.  I had some errors
DS> because some directories were not empty.  What do I do in those
DS> cases?

rpm -e <package-name>

is the correct syntax (not "filename").  Which package were you
uninstalling exactly?  If it was any of the Swarm packages, please
send us the output from rpm.  In most cases it's not too serious, it
simply means that an application installed files there that rpm didn't
know about

DS> Also, what directory do I need to be in when I install gcc, cpp,
DS> binutils and the other dependent packages?

DS> Similarly, what is the clean way to uninstall Swarm-2.0.1?  What
DS> directory do I need to be in when I install 2.1.1?

You don't have to be in any particular directory when installing RPMs,
you just have to be logged in as root.  For these kind of questions
try: "man rpm" and look at http://www.rpm.org.

DS> Installing and uninstalling files in Linux is by far the most
DS> stressful part of the operating system, so verbose guidance is
DS> especially appreciated by this Linux novice.

There are many forums and FAQs out there devoted to the issues of RPM
at Red Hat and LinuxPPC try the RPM mailing list: address@hidden,
the Red Hat Linux Installation, Usage and Reference Guides (search for
them at http://www.redhat.com) also have good novice information.

We are now definitely off-topic, so any make any followups privately,
please.

Alex
--
Alex Lancaster * address@hidden * www.santafe.edu/~alex * 505 984-8800 x242