Re: FCall/FArguments to speedup schedules (was Re: Speed decrease betwee

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: FCall/FArguments to speedup schedules (was Re: Speed decrease between 2.0 and 2.1?
Date: 23 May 2000 11:24:42 -0700

PJ> Question: 1. I don't understand #if 1.  Do you compile with "make
PJ> EXTRACPPFLAGS=-D1" , treating 1 like a word?

"#if so-and-so [blahblahblah] #endif" means "include [blahblahblah] if
so-and-so evaluates to true, e.g. 1".  Replace "1" with "0" and it is
like a comment.  I find this is nicer than using comments, because
there is no confusion about what is a comment and what is an
exclusion, and because it can have an elif/else cases.

PJ> 2. Is this FCall approach more-or-less equivalent to caching the
PJ> method lookup in an IMP variable?  (as in
PJ> http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/IMP_Nextstep.txt).  It
PJ> assumes, does it not, that there are no nil or other kinds of
PJ> objects in the carList?  Even if a truck object could respond to
PJ> the same message, it would not be correct to use this because it
PJ> would not be the same method implementation for a truck as for a
PJ> car?

Exactly.