standard output vs. GUI

From: Tee Toth-Fejel
Subject: standard output vs. GUI
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 12:29:49 -0400

While running Windows NT 4.0, Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard
Edition (build 1.3.0-C), and swarm 2.1.1, it would seem that standard out
would be at whatever Dos window one types "java Main" (Main is where I do
Globals.env.initSwarm and ObserverSwarm topObserverSwarm = new
ObserverSwarm(Globals.env.globalZone, params); etc)

But none of my debug statement show up before execution terminates.
If I use jdb, then the output appears perfectly, but then none of the GUI
stuff works:
Specifically:

*** event raised for warning: WarningMessage
*** function: _i_ProbeMap__getProbeForVariable_(), file:
/src/Swarm/swarm/src/objectbase/ProbeMap.m, line: 586
The variable myName was not found
*** execution continuing...
ERROR, cannot find probe for var 'myName' in class class Consumer

and the only way I can get it to work is by commenting out all the addVProbe
statements in ObserverSwarm that extends GUISwarmImpl.  And my software
still breaks later when trying to load the EZGraph stuff, though at least I
can continue through it:

Exception occurred: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException (uncaught)
thread="main", java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(), line=20
, bci=72

main[1] where
  [1] java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run (URLClassLoader.java:200)
  [2] java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged (native method)
  [3] java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass (URLClassLoader.java:188)
  [4] java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass (ClassLoader.java:297)
  [5] sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass (Launcher.java:286)
  [6] java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass (ClassLoader.java:253)
  [7] java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal (ClassLoader.java:313)
  [8]
swarm.analysis.EZGraphCImpl.create$setTitle$setAxisLabelsX$Y$setWindowGeomet
ryRecordName (native method)
  [9] swarm.analysis.EZGraphImpl.<init> (EZGraphImpl.java:239)
  [10] ObserverSwarm.buildObjects (ObserverSwarm.java:369)
  [11] Main.main (Main.java:80)
main[1]

After I cont through it, the execution terminates because I accidentally
inserted an action at time greater than or equal to repeat interval, but
that is irrelevant at this point (I'm pretty certain).

If I run in the Terminal (bash) window, the model works perfectly (well, up
to step 100, when it's doing exactly what I foolishly told it to do), but I
can't see my debug statements.
Perhaps they are going to some java console at /dev/null (which in Windows
NT is worse than NeverNeverLand).

Why am I forced to see only the debug output or only the GUI?  I want both!
(note:  There are no System.setOut(PrintStream) statements in my code)

Any pointers or hints would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Tihamer "Tee" Toth-Fejel                    Member of Technical Staff
(734) 623-2544   address@hidden      http://www.anteaters.net/ttf/
Center for Electronic Commerce, Environmental Research Institute of Michigan