Java

From: John Barnett
Subject: Java
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 12:21:44 -0400

I'm reading with interest the thread on Java books.  I run into a "small" problem on learning Java using the book, "Java 2 in 24 hours".  This seems to be a pretty basic book but a good place to start.  I haven't had any problem running the sample programs except for the applets.  The first applet I've tried includes a statement

public class RootApplet extends com.sun.java.swing.JApplet {

on trying to compile the program I get an error -

Can''t find type "com/sun/java/swing/JApplet"

My first thought was that my version of Java was too old -
typing Java -version produced the following message

Kaffe Virtual Machine
Copyright © 1996-1999
Transvirtual Technologies, Inc.  All rights reserved
Engine: Just-in-time v3  Version: 1.0.5  Java Version 1.1

I downloaded and installed (from the Sun site) Java 1.3 but the Java version message didn't change.  And I get the same error message for the applet.

Anyone have any idea what I did wrong?

Thanks - John

John B. Barnett, Ph.D.
Professor and Chair