Re: Java

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: Java
Date: 15 Sep 2000 18:05:27 -0700

JB> My first thought was that my version of Java was too old -
JB> typing Java -version produced the following message

JB> Kaffe Virtual Machine

Kaffe doesn't yet have a complete Swing implementation.  There are
several groups working together to do this (professionals and volunteers),
but it will be a long road to finish an independent implementation.

My sense is that volunteer free software developers don't see much
urgency in finishing a `complete' Swing implementation, because they
know how to work around the weakspots and avoid API areas they don't
need.  Further, there are beginning to be alternative Java GUI free-
software options, for example, some GNOME hackers are working on a GTK+
Java layer.

So if you want to grab a random Java book that talks about GUI programming,
install Sun JDK.  If you then want to then do Swarm things, you'll
have to do a build of Swarm from source, configuring with
"--with-jdkdir=/usr/jdk1.3" (or wherever Sun JDK is installed).