Re: Java

From: John Barnett
Subject: Re: Java
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 17:37:16 -0400

Thanks - I did get the JDK1.3 installed and the path fixed so it compiles OK.
My goal is to learn Java first and then worry about Swarm with Java later.
Speaking of dumb things I have done, perhaps you can help with this one.
I didn't like the small font that emacs defaulted to - it was too small.  So I
thought that I would, using a book on Emacs to tell me how, change the default
setting for the font to something  larger using the .Xdefaults file - just like
the book said I could.  I also thought, "the worst that can happen is that I
need to change it back to the original settings."  However, to my horror, when
I changed the .Xdefaults file as described in the book and web site, I keep
getting an error message "No fonts match `-fixed " or what ever I put in there
- even if I restore it to the original script.  I used xrdb to get the program
to recognize the changes in the .Xdefaults file, as described in a book.  Any
idea how to correct this - I've looked at all the websites and FAQ sites I can
find and nothing works.  Thanks - John

>>> address@hidden 09/17/00 16:12 PM >>>

JB> My first thought was that my version of Java was too old -
JB> typing Java -version produced the following message

JB> Kaffe Virtual Machine

Kaffe doesn't yet have a complete Swing implementation.  There are
several groups working together to do this (professionals and volunteers),
but it will be a long road to finish an independent implementation.

My sense is that volunteer free software developers don't see much
urgency in finishing a `complete' Swing implementation, because they
know how to work around the weakspots and avoid API areas they don't
need.  Further, there are beginning to be alternative Java GUI free-
software options, for examle, some GNOME hackers are working on a GTK+
Java layer.

So if you want to grab a random Java book that talks about GUI programming,
install Sun JDK.  If you then want to then do Swarm things, you'll
have to do a build of Swarm from source, configuring with
"--with-jdkdir=/usr/jdk1.3" (or wherever Sun JDK is installed).