Re: interface declaration

From: Joshua Madden
Subject: Re: interface declaration
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 15:56:52 -0700 (PDT)

>OK, Marcus, for me it is one step at a time.
>
>How do I see any of those many lines before the last 25 that show on the
>bash terminal?

Two methods come to mind:

(1) Redirect the output of this process to a file, and then use your favorite
text viewer to look at the file:

foo -param1 -param2 > out

redirects the output of the program foo (with parameters param1 and param2)
to the file called 'out'.

(2) Pipe the output of the program through the program 'more' (or 'less').
Essentially what these do (for these purposes) is show you the output a screen
at a time.  You do this as follows:

foo -param1 -param2 | less

('less' is actually a more capable program than 'more' if it is available, but
either should work for what you need).

>Is there a bash manual somewhere?

You can type 'man bash' to get the bash manual, but it's probably not what you
want.  If what you want is a guide to the basic system utilities, you might be
best served--as a quick and dirty solution--by doing a web search on "Basic
Unix
Utilities" or the like.

Joshua Madden

address@hidden Per Obscurius....cs.uoregon.edu/~jmadden
     Joshua Madden: Information Scientist, Musician, Philosopher-At-Tall
It's that moment of dawning comprehension that I live for.  -- Bill Watterson