Re: compiling swarm-2.1.1 on slackware 7.1

From: Paul E Johnson
Subject: Re: compiling swarm-2.1.1 on slackware 7.1
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 08:58:00 -0500

"Noriel Christopher C. Tiglao" wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I've been trying to install Swarm-2.1.1 on Slackware Linux 7.1 on an Intel
> i810 machine.
>
> I installed the needed softwares as prescribed. I encountered one problem
> upon installing
> gdb-objc4.16 as it doesn't seem to identify an i686-pc-linux-gnu like the
> rest. However, I
> successfully installed gdb-4.18. Do I need to to both debuggers on my
> systems? If so, can
> you please tell me where to get an updated gdb-objc?
>
> Thank you for your assistance in advance.
>
> --
> Noriel

I don't know what Intel i810 machine means. If it is a Pentium of some
sort, no problem.  I thought 810 was a motherboard chipset designation.

You don't need gdb to compile swarm.  I've not built Swarm on Slackware
in 16 months, but I don't think there should be any big problems.
Marcus may correct me, but here is where I would go about it.

1. Compile gcc-2.95.2.
2. Make sure you have tcl/tk properly installed.  I believe you need an
edition in the  8.x series.
3. Install blt.  To build blt, you must have the tcl/tk source, blt gets
untarred into a directory there and blt has to be told where the tcl/tk
source is.
4. If you want to build swarm with java support, you need to install a
Java development kit. If you use Kaffe, you must install the Jikes
compiler (not all editions of that work, for me only the older one
works).  If you install Sun JDK, you can still use jikes, but you don't
have to.
5. Configure/build swarm!

I think the SwarmFaq still has more details on how to build it.

http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/SwarmFaq/SwarmOnlineFaq.html#2.2

Some of the libraries that swarm used to need are no longer required.
No longer do you need to install libobjc or libffi (except on some
particular systems)