Re: C compiler

From: Alex Lancaster
Subject: Re: C compiler
Date: 09 Nov 2001 02:09:32 -0800

DA> Hi everyone: It's been a long time since I post here.

DA> I would like to ask a question concerning the windows instalation
DA> of Swarm. In the linux version, I guess that we use the gcc
DA> compiler of the system for our programs. In the case of the
DA> windows package a C compiler gets installed I suppose because I
DA> have been using swarm with out problems for some time and still
DA> use it for my Multiagent System research)

DA> Now I have installed another simulator for a totally different
DA> kind of thing (not Multiagent Systems) which in its linux version
DA> uses gcc too but in the windows version requires mingw or Dev-C++
DA> installed to program it.

DA> Since I want to use it and still use Swarm for my MAS research, My
DA> questions are:

Marcus will probably correct me if I'm wrong, since I don't use
Windows much, but here's what I know from the best of my knowledge.

DA> 1)Which C are we using with Swarm for windows

Swarm for Windows uses "gcc" (from the Cygnus environment which Swarm
installs alongside itself).

DA> 2)Is it specific in anyway to Swarm,

No, gcc isn't specific to Swarm, gcc (used in the Cygwin environment)
can compile any C code to a Windows executable.

DA> or may be I can use it to compile the files of the other simulator
DA> provided that I put a PATH so that it can find the necessary files

That's right, but if your other C programs have Windows or other code
specific to your other compiler, then you may run into trouble.  If
it's all ANSI C, then you're fine.

DA> 3) Would it be safe installing several C compilers?  (the Swarm
DA> one, and DevC++ for the other one) I am about to download DevC++
DA> but before installing I would like to be sure about these things

You can install your other compiler anywhere, just make sure that it
doesn't clobber the Swarm/Cygwin installation and doesn't appear in
PATH when you are compiling Swarm, you should be fine.

Alex