Re: compiled and registered swarm XPCOM - could i have a crash course ?

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: compiled and registered swarm XPCOM - could i have a crash course ?
Date: 18 Dec 2001 09:53:22 -0700

DK> BTW, if you can point me to some XPCOM location better than the
DK> IBM tutorial, i would be grateful.

The first few chapters of "Essential COM", by Don Box justify the
basic design.  For the in-practice details, you might try asking on
the Python/XPCOM mailing list or on the netscape.public.mozilla.xpcom
newsgroup (from news.mozilla.org).

I think it will be easier to experiment with Python or JavaScript than
to learn XPCOM from writing C++.  JavaScript/XPCOM (XPConnect) is
stable now and I suspect Python is pretty good too.

With the interpretted languages, reference counting of objects will be
automatic and you won't have to learn nsCOMPtr (XPCOM's magic
pointers) a set of macros, and ownership conventions to get off the ground.