simpleSwarmBug3 and simpleObserverBug

From: Petros Petrou
Subject: simpleSwarmBug3 and simpleObserverBug
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 14:26:01 +1100

Hi,

(I already sent this message to swarm Announce but then I realized that I should have sent it to swarm Support. I apologize for this and I hope I haven't created any confusion.)

I am a java programmer (and a begginer with swarm) and I am currently working on research project related to swarm libraries. The first part of my project is to translate the Bug tutorials from Objective C to Java. I did this for the first 5 tutorials but I am now facing few problems that I don't know how to approach them. (The OS I am working with is Redhat 7.1 and the java compiler is the jdk1.3.1_02)

FIRST PROBLEM
----------------------------
As I mentioned above I managed to succesfully translate the first 5 tutorials. In order to translate the 6th tutorial (simpleSwarmBug3) I only have to replace one line in my Main.java source file of the simpleSwarmBug2. The change is the following:

I REPLACED THIS LINE:
modelSwarm = new ModelSwarm(Globals.env.globalZone);
 WITH THE FOLLOWING:
ModelSwarm modelSwarm=(ModelSwarm)Globals.env.lispAppArchiver.getWithZone$key(Globals.env.globalZone,"modelSwarm");
if(modelSwarm==null){
   System.out.println("Can't find the modelSwarm parameters");
    return;
}

THE bug.scm FILE RESIDING IN THE SAME DIRECTORY IS THE FOLLOWING
(list
 (cons 'modelSwarm
       (make-instance 'ModelSwarm
                      #:worldXSize 80
                      #:worldYSize 80
                      #:seedProb 0.9F0
                      #:bugDensity 0.02F0)))
THE RESULT ARE:
After running the program I am getting the message "Can't find the modelSwarm parameters" which means the lispAppArchiver did not create the object.

SECOND PROBLEM
------------------------------
In my attempt to translate the simpleObserverBug tutorial I am receiving the following compiler error message
(the following is the result of a call to the printStackTrace()  method of the exception thrown by the following line of code
displayActions.createActionTo$message(foodDisplay, new Selector(Class.forName("Value2dDisplayImpl"), "display", false));)
/******************** Compiling simpleObserverBug **************************/
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: Value2dDisplayImpl
        at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:286)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:315)
        at ObserverSwarm.buildActions(ObserverSwarm.java:102)
        at Main.main(Main.java:11)

Could you please provide me with any suggestions or hints as to how I could approach the above problems.

Many Thanks,
Petros Petrou