Re: Problems installing Swarm 2.2

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: Problems installing Swarm 2.2
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 11:49:33 -0500

address@hidden wrote:

Now, I don't know what's next. Can anybody tell me:
- if this is ok so far
- what to do next, step by step (e.g. (how) should I uninstall 2.1.1, where
should I install the new files, what paths to change etc.)

About two weeks ago I added an element in the Swarm FAQ and today I go looking in there for a reference to it and it has magically disappeared! I'm totally stunned. I have a fear I've run up against a Mozilla browser problem interacting with the FAQ manager software.

Anyway, I'll have to put something back in there, as soon as I find out why it disappeared in the first place. It is particularly discouraging to me because I'm not a windows user and I hate having to do this twice.

But you need to do these things.

1. remove swarm-2.1 with the windows uninstall program.

2. Install the new cygwin toolkit, make sure it runs. Open a cygwin terminal, type mount, make sure it looks proper, verify that / is pointing to the directory where you install cygwin. It defaults to c:\cygwin.

3. Untar the swarm-2.2 pretest into an obvious place like c:\Swarm-2.2. The cygwin toolkit has tar and you can use that to open up the tar.gz that Marcus prepares. You can drop that whereever you want, anyplace like c:\Swarm-2.2 is ok. I think it would also be fine if you drop it under cygwin, so it could be in c:\cygwin\Swarm-2.2. It is important that you preserve folder/directory structure when you open that up.

4. On your system, find out how to edit the PATH. Windows constantly changes how this is done. SO learn how, and then put your Swarm-2.2\bin directory at the front of the path. IT is vital that it be in the front,before cygwin.

5. If you installed Swarm-2.2 into c:\cygwin\Swarm-2.2, I think you can ignore this next step. If you installed it somewhere else, you need to mount the swarm directory under /Swarm-2.2, so I think if you dumped the swarm pretest in c:\Swarm-2.2 it should be (in a cygwin terminal you type)

mkdir /Swarm-2.2
mount c:\\Swarm-2.2 /Swarm-2.2

Please note I intend the double backslash.

6. Java support works through scripts. So lookin those scripts like jdkswarm and see if the class path differs from your install.

7. I am not sure, but I think a lot of things go easier of you set an environment variable SWARMDIR. And set that equal to wherever you put the swarm pretest.