Re: Java Memory Profiler seems to work OK with swarm

From: Robert Olofsson
Subject: Re: Java Memory Profiler seems to work OK with swarm
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 23:26:22 +0200 (MEST)

Hello!

> The install instructions are clear and easy, it took about 5 minutes to
> install on my RedHat Linux system.

Nice to hear...
Documentation needs more work, but I think that the most important
pieces are available. A better user guide needs to be written...

> And, if you try it, can you tell me what it means when the Method output
> shows the biggest time consumer is
> void wait (long).
> Is that just a GUI cost?

wait is many things...
waiting for IO, waiting for input (keyboard, mouse), threads waiting
for each other etc. wait seems to be the top method, but that is ok,
since normally your program spends a lot of time in it, but that
method does not consume CPU. Threads that do wait are normally
suspended by the OS until the notify occurs.

I am thinking about subtracting time when threads wait but I have not
decided to do that yet and I am not certain that it is the correct
thing to do.

The thing to remeber is what the colums mean: for secs it is the
number of seconds the program was in the method, it is not the number
of clock ticks the os gave that thread...

If you take up the thread window you can find out how much time your
threads have spent on contenation (waiting for synchronization
monitor). Big contenation is bad, but large wait time is not...

In the threads window you can also get the stack for each thread, if
your program does a lot of wait you will see stacks that has wait at
the top, if you look below you will see where the wait comes from...

/robo - jmp developer
Robert Olofsson  * address@hidden       *        "Your eyes can deceive you
Flygkårsv 5,1    *                      *          use the force."
183 62 Täby      * tel: 08-732 71 39    *                   /Obi-Wan-Kenobi
Sweden           * http://www.nada.kth.se/~d94-rol