Re: MacOS X

From: dclement
Subject: Re: MacOS X
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2003 17:15:24 -0600

On Wednesday, Jan 1, 2003, at 17:20 US/Central, Bill Northcott wrote:

../../../configure \
CC='cc -fgnu-runtime -no-cpp-precomp' \
--prefix=/Users/billn/Public/Swarm/swarm/macosx/swarmx/build/dst/usr \
--with-tcldir=/usr/local/lib \
--without-jdkdir \
--with-hdf5dir=/usr/local

Hmmmmm, when I do this it seems to think that the compiler cannot create executables for some reason. "checking for C compiler default output... configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables"

I could commit that configure command to the cvs, because it will soon
make its way into the PB project.  Do you think that is a good idea? or
would it be better spooled into the autogen stuff.
I'm not familiar enough with the internal workings of Swarm--or exactly what autogen does other than configure the configure script--to really judge this one, but it doesn't sound like a bad idea.

Many thanks for your report.  I did the trivial fix of adding a second
rubbish argument but did not commit it to the cvs because it was obviously
wrong.  This is my only current uncommitted patch.  If you can see the
right fix please let me know, and I will commit it.

As near as I can tell the only "right" way to fix it would be to fix the definition in runtime.h, because it is only doing what it was told to do:

Starting at line 78 in runtime.h:

#ifdef DEBUG
#define DEBUG_PRINTF(format, args...) printf (format, ## args)
#else
#define DEBUG_PRINTF(format, args...)
#endif

I replaced the code with this:

#ifdef DEBUG
#define DEBUG_PRINTF(format, args...) printf (format, ## args)
#define DEBUG_PRINTF(format) printf(format)
#else
#define DEBUG_PRINTF(format, args...)
#define DEBUG_PRINTF(format)
#endif

I am not quite understanding 'arg 5' there only seem to be four, or does
it mean the function prototype has five?

No clue on this one, I'll play with it for a bit and see if anything falls out. My guess is that (arg 5) is some kind of obscure error code.

Sincerely,
David

GnuPG Public Key:
http://www.geocities.com/dhartwellc/Clements_Public_Key.txt

Fingerprint: AE8B 37D8 D90C 7A45 15E9  D2F2 A8EB AE69 D4C8 2F5F