Re: MacOS X last lap

From: Bill Northcott
Subject: Re: MacOS X last lap
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2003 12:34:03 +1100

I can't see that the avcall library has anything to do with it. avcall.lo,
structcpy.lo and .libs/libavcall.al all contain the symbols only once. The
problem is clearly the link  command which lists the library twice.

rm -fr .libs/libdefobj.la .libs/libdefobj.* .libs/libdefobj.*
/Users/billn/Public/GNU/dst/bin/gcc -dynamiclib -flat_namespace -undefined
suppress -o .libs/libdefobj.4.0.0.dylib  Archiver.lo LispArchiver.lo
HDF5Archiver.lo Arguments.lo Create.lo Customize.lo DefClass.lo
DefObject.lo HDF5Object.lo Program.lo Symbol.lo Zone.lo FCall.lo
FArguments.lo defobj.lo internal.lo java.lo directory.lo JavaProxy.lo
JavaClassProxy.lo JavaCollection.lo JavaCollectionIndex.lo COMProxy.lo
fcall_objc.lo fcall_java.lo COM.lo modulemap.lo -all_load
../../avcall/.libs/libavcall.al  ../../avcall/.libs/libavcall.al -lc
-install_name
/Users/billn/Public/Swarm/swarm/macosx/swarmx/build/dst/usr/lib/libdefobj.4.dylib

-compatibility_version 5 -current_version 5.0
ld: for architecture ppc
ld: multiple definitions of symbol ___builtin_avcall
../../avcall/.libs/libavcall.al(avcall.lo) definition of ___builtin_avcall
in section (__TEXT,__text)
../../avcall/.libs/libavcall.al(avcall.lo) definition of ___builtin_avcall
in section (__TEXT,__text)

I suspect the gnu linker ignored the duplication, which has hidden the
error previously, but it seems dyld on the Mac does not.    If I delete
the duplication in the command it links.   Unfortunately even though  can
build the library by hand, running make again insists on buildng it agan
and fouling up.  I am trying to hack the makefile which generated the
command, but it is rather complicated.

Bill Northcott