Re: MacOS X last lap

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: MacOS X last lap
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2003 23:59:05 -0600

Bill Northcott wrote:
Paul's cvs updates killed one error and a heap of warnings. .la for analysis, misc,objectbase,random,simtools,simtoolsgui,space,tclobjc and tkobjc all build.

We now have just four show stoppers:

1. src/collections/collections.m
as part of the compilation it makes a file collections.xm. This file appears to contain almost every line twice. This spews a row of errors and dies. This error has been the same on every compiler I have tried.

I know for sure I've seen that. I think it happens when gperf is not installed. I wish I could remember.

2. src/defobj/HDF5Object.m
at lines 1045 and 1070 the following code appears:
  if (cdata->command == H5T_CONV_INIT)
    cdata->need_bkg = H5T_BKG_TEMP;
  else if (cdata->command == H5T_CONV_CONV)

H5T_BKG_TEMP appears nowhere else in the source and is not replaced by the precompiler, presumably the first conditional has not been true on other platforms. Any idea where H5T_BKG_TEMP should be defined and what it's for.

$ rpm -q hdf5
hdf5-1.4.3-1RH73
$ cd /usr/include
$ grep H5T_CON H*
address@hidden include]$ grep H5T_B H*
H5Fpublic.h: H5T_BKG_NO = 0, /*background buffer is not needed, send NULL */ H5Fpublic.h: H5T_BKG_TEMP = 1, /*bkg buffer used as temp storage only */ H5Fpublic.h: H5T_BKG_YES = 2 /*init bkg buf with data before conversion */ H5Tpublic.h: H5T_BITFIELD = 4, /*bit field types */

3. src/defobj/defobj.m
in the intermediate file defobj.xm there is what appears to be an out of context @end near the beginning. The causes a parse error followed by other problems and it dies.

Too abstract for me

4. src/activity/activity.m
in the intermediate file activity.xm there is a parse error in line 6.
Don't these xm errors trace back to failures of gperf, sed, or emacs ?

Is there any significance in errors 1,3 and 4 all involving Objective C code files with names commencing with lowercase letters, which is not usually the case? In any event, they would appear to be a function of the precompiler maybe bugs in that.
Error 2 looks like an error in the Swarm sources.

Bill Northcott