[Swarm-Support] Compiler flag changes

From: Bill Northcott
Subject: [Swarm-Support] Compiler flag changes
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 10:08:25 +1000

> Since the day I made that snapshot, a bunch of my changes have gone into
> Swarm CVS, as have many changes needed for the MacOS port of Swarm.
> Since then, I have noticed some problems. One is that the build flag
> -Werror is gone, and so the build will keep going despite problems. I've
> been asking why that change was made, and I have not yet found out.

Mea culpa.  It was a mistake.  A number of flags had to be changed for
gcc3.3 on MacOS.  Those changes should be needed on other platforms.  It
won't build on MacOS X with Werror, but the warnings creating the problems
are spurious so I removed it.  I forgot to put the -Werror back in before
updating the CVS.

At some point, I will have another go at MacOS X putting in Paul's CVS
changes.  Hopefully this will allow us to use Werror again.
Currently the thing is on hold because Apple hid the gcc source!  I
suspect this is to do with secrecy surrounding the introduction of the 64
bit PPC970 chip.  I presume that will be announced at the Developer
conference in June, and the cvs code will reappear.
This may also relate to your gcc problems.  I presume Apple have
temporarily stopped checking in mods to the FSF trees.  I used a Jan 02
checkout of gcc3.3 from the FSF CVS to build the Mac stuff and it seemed
to work without any modification.

Bill Northcott