Re: [Swarm-Support] Using Aqua tcl/tk on Mac OS X?

From: Bill Northcott
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] Using Aqua tcl/tk on Mac OS X?
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 07:56:43 +1000

The problem is to build BLT.  I had a go with AquaTcl/Tk 8.4.1 but it was
too hard.

Tk extensions tend to make direct calls to X11 routines.  AquaTk emulates
many of these but not enough for BLT.
Also the BLT maintainer is less than responsive.  I sent him a set of
patches to get BLT to build against X11 on MacOS X.  I got no
acknowledgement and they do not seem to have been incorporated in the
source code.

There is a new Tcl/Tk 8.4.2 version available, but although it adds quite
a few more X11 functions, but I gather from the mail lists that they are
stil not enough for BLT, which seems to be one of the worst Tk extensions
for making X11 calls.

You are welcome to have a go at porting BLT and/or modifying AquaTcl/Tk.
It would be great if it worked.

An alternative track which is being worked on is to move the whole GUI to
GNUstep.  It is a big job would potentially make porting easier to non X11
systems.

Finally there is not a big incentive to move away from X11 now that Apple
have produced a proper accelerated server and made it fairly clear that it
will be supported into the future.  It is being used by commercial
products like Matlab.

Bill Northcott