Re: [Swarm-Support] OSX

From: Bill Northcott
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] OSX
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 16:30:30 +1000

Your compile log has loads of warnings.  These are the result of problems
with GNU libtool 1.4.x.  Version 1.5 has just been released and should fix
these once it is incorporated into Swarm.  They are only warnings and are
not breaking the link.

The link breaks because of the undefined symbol _main which is of course
the main function in your program, not anything from a Swarm library.

That would normally happen because the order on the link line is wrong.
This may also be a libtool issue.  It may also be because there was some
problem building main.o.

If you would like to send the source code to me off the list, I will try
to compile it.

Bill

> I just tried to recompile an older version of my simulation (I can't
> get to my current version because of a server crash).  Everything hums
> along (with a few compaints about comparing signed to unsigned
> variables which I ignore), until this nasty little message:

> /bin/sh /usr/local/swarm2.1/bin/libtool-swarm --mode link
> /usr/local/gcc3.3/bin/
> gcc -g -O2 -L/usr/local/swarm2.1/lib -rpath /usr/local/swarm2.1/lib  -o
> smallwor
> ld main.o ObserverSwarm.o ModelSwarm.o Agent.o TerrainObject.o  -lswarm
> -lobjc
> /usr/local/gcc3.3/bin/gcc -g -O2 -o smallworld main.o ObserverSwarm.o
> ModelSwarm
> .o Agent.o TerrainObject.o  -L/usr/local/swarm2.1/lib -lswarm
> -L/Users/billn/Pub
> lic/Swarm/swarm/macosx/swarmx/build/src/space
> -L/Users/billn/Public/Swarm/swarm/
> macosx/swarmx/build/src/analysis
> -L/Users/billn/Public/Swarm/swarm/macosx/swarmx
> /build/src/simtoolsgui
> -L/Users/billn/Public/Swarm/swarm/macosx/swarmx/build/src
> /simtools
***stuff removed**
> (/Users/billn/Public/Swarm/swarm/macosx/
> swarmx/build/src/misc) does not exist
> /usr/bin/ld: warning -L: directory name
> (/Users/billn/Public/Swarm/swarm/macosx/
> swarmx/build/libobjc) does not exist
> /usr/bin/ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _tclStubsPtr
> /usr/local/tk8.4.1/lib/libtk8.4.dylib(tclStubLib.o) definition of
> _tclStubsPtr
> /usr/local/tcl8.4.1/lib/libtcl8.4.dylib(tclStubLib.o) definition of
> _tclStubsPtr
*** Stuff Removed ***