Re: [Swarm-Support] Compile error: TclInterp preInitWithArgc:argv

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] Compile error: TclInterp preInitWithArgc:argv
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 11:59:21 -0500

I think I suggested before to you that the version 2.1.142 may be bogus because of changes that were made by me to accomodate MS WINDOWS and the newer tcltk. Until I get that sorted out, you should try to compile the latest swarm snap that I am totally sure will work. That's one from last fall.

I'm sorry I ever pointed you at swarm-2.1.142.20030325, I only did that because I thought you had the newer tcltk 8.4. I'm taking swarm-2.1.142 off my pages to avoid any future confusion, and when I get a tarball that works, I'll give it a version number 2.1.143.

About two weeks ago I threw up my hands in exhaustion after trying to make this work for MS Windows and I'm wishing somebody else would work that out. I put the tcl/tk related changes that I think are necessary into a patch against the swarm source and deposited them here:

http://lark.cc.ku.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/Windoze/tcl84testing-2003-03-28.patch

That does address those tcl/tk related warnings you are seeing, at least most of them.

On RedHat Linux, it is no trouble. I've just yesterday built a clean, fully functional swarm and I put the RPMs here:

http://lark.cc.ku.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/Swarm-2.2x_RH9.0/

The source code is in here:

http://lark.cc.ku.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/Swarm-2.2x_RH9.0/swarm-2.1.141.20021019-2RH9.0.src.rpm

So I strongly suggest you try to build that one. The source package has one very small fixup that eliminates the "can't find special bitmap" problem that we have been seeing with RedHat 8.1 and 9.0, which was possibly due to a change in sed versions.

Now, if you keep getting the tcl type mismatch problem, it is an indication that your system is trying to use tcltk8.4 to compile Swarm, and some fixups are necessary, but I don't have all the details finalized yet. I do have a patch above I can suggest for you, if you keep trying in that direction.

Good luck, I'm sorry if I seem abrupt.

pj

Jan Peters-Anders wrote:
Hello again,