Re: [Swarm-Support] Swarm not work

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] Swarm not work
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 17:17:08 -0600

Hmmm. Interesting. I did not try java in a long time. I have just tried it (steps shown below) and all is well (implication: you did something wrong, I can't say what for sure).

I get more warnings than I used to (shown below) and these bother me, but the model runs and the warnings must be harmless.

One hint of trouble is that you have ./javacswarm. That's questionable because that file is in /usr/bin after the rpm install.

So maybe you have a different javacswarm? You have one left over from Swarm-2.1, for example?? Look in the javacswarm file you refer to where it is trying to use the kaffe javac command. I don't know why it is doing that. change that path to point at your jdk version from Sun. Maybe?

I don't see the same problem you do. All I have done so far is

1 install swarm-jdk,
2 untar jheatbugs

# tar xzvf jheatbugs-2001-03-28.tar.gz
# cd jheatbugs-2001-03-28
3 set environment
# export SWARMHOME=/usr

4. build

# make

$ make
/usr/bin/javacswarm Heatbug.java HeatCell.java HeatSpace.java HeatbugModelSwarm.java Heatbu
gObserverSwarm.java StartHeatbugs.java HeatbugBatchSwarm.java

Issued 1 lexical warning in "Heatbug.java":

   122.   public Object setX$Y (int inX, int inY) {
                        ^----^
*** Lexical Warning: The use of "$" in an identifier, while legal, is strongly discouraged, since it can conflict with compiler-generated names. If you are trying to access a nested ty
pe, use "." instead of "$".

Issued 1 semantic warning compiling "Heatbug.java":

                        <------
   244.                 case 8:
   245.                   newX = xp1 ; newY = yp1;  // SE
        ----------------------------------------->
*** Semantic Warning: This switch block can fall through to the next case. Did you forget a
break statement?

5. I ignore those warnings, and Run the program

#javaswarm StartHeatbugs

pj

Li An wrote:
Hello Swarm colleages,

I have installed the new swarm-2.2-rcl_fc3.i386 in a fc3 system. All is
well, except that when I type make, I got the following message. What
could be wrong? Appreciate your input. Thanks

./javacswarm: line 34: /appl/kaffe1.0.5/bin/javac: No such file or
directory
make: *** [all] Error 127

Li