Re: [Swarm-Support] Swarm not work

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] Swarm not work
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 10:36:26 -0600

I feel like the guy who invented ice and then forgot the recipe.

About 1.5 years ago, Marcus Daniels showed me how to use gcj to build swarm and the RPM swarm-gcjswarm is the one built with it. Its been available for quite a while with the other RPMS.

But I can't recall how to compile programs against it. I had written it down, I think for RH8, but a recent space crunch required that to be removed from my web page and the tape backups are not accessible to me here. I have a hazy recollection that the gcj did not include some Swing libraries I was using to make a Raster and so I decided to use the Sun JDK anyway.

Since then, I don't really use Java at all and I'm just going through the motions of distributing the java RPMS. If you want to tell me how to do it, I'm glad to, but its not within my range to get too creative about it.

pj

Alex Lancaster wrote:
"PJ" == Paul Johnson  writes:

PJ> Yes, I agree, and the blame all lies at the Sun company. every
PJ> time they come out with a minor release, they rename the directory
PJ> structure, so the RPM has to be rebuilt for every specific version
PJ> of their package.

Paul,

Have you compiled Swarm using gcj (part of gcc) rather than Sun's
proprietary JDK?  I thought Marcus had tested this as part of the 2.2
release.  It would make Swarm RPM packaging under Fedora/Red Hat much
easier to rely on the gcj packages available in every gcc release and
I believe there is gcc4 package distributed with FC3.  (Not to mention
not having to rely on proprietary software).

Alex

1541 Lilac Lane, Rm 504