Re: [Swarm-Support] x86_64 and message forwarding

From: Bill Northcott
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] x86_64 and message forwarding
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 10:43:59 +1000

On 28/08/2006, at 10:04 AM, Marcus Daniels wrote:
Bill Northcott wrote:
Marcus Daniels wrote:
Paul Johnson wrote: The objective C support with these new RPMs works fine. I did not test
the Java version.
I know there are problems with Java message forwarding on x86_64, but i386
seems to works fine.

Is this a problem with avcall/libffi? I am trying to get libffi to work for Darwin x86 and x86_64 but I don't have a machine to test the latter.
I can test on AMD64/Linux, but unfortunately there's more to it than finding the right frame offsets.

Traditionally, GCC compiles-in information on the call frame it uses for Objective C calls. For applications like distributed objects or inter-language message forwarding, application code can use those strings to understand the frame. For example, if you run "make check" in tests/defobj, on an AMD64 Linux system you'll get a failure that ends with m1: [1 0 0]. Just above that on the right, you'll see two copies of the same string:

Thanks for that. I am still at the info gathering stage for x86-64 Darwin. As of today, Apple have not got around to posting sources for the current compilers or the updated x86-64 ABI documentation. I imagine that with all the new products going out the door and Leopard to finish off, there are other priorities. The 32 bit x86 ABI was very similar to Linux but not quite the same so I will have a go at that first.

I have found that they have been responsive to fixing behaviour in their compiler which differs from that of the FSF one. So it is worth testing and filing bugs if we find it does not work.

Bill