Re: [Swarm-Support] x86_64 and message forwarding

From: Marcus Daniels
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] x86_64 and message forwarding
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 05:32:20 -0600

Bill Northcott wrote:
> I still have to get a clear picture in my head of which bits of the existing code do what at this level. There seem to be chunks grafted in from other open source projects in which not all of the code is functional.

Swarm uses two features from mframe: 1) taking apart the call frame in DefObject.m's -forward:: implementation, and 2) augmenting method signatures with call frame location data. If #1 can be done without guidance from #2, say by using ffcall's vacall, then mframe_build_signature is not needed, and thus mframe could be discarded (the only thing that makes Swarm's libobjc unique).

Other than that, Swarm includes ffcall's avcall, which is just a copy. One idea would be to depend on ffcall (or maybe gnustep) as a binary dependency (e.g. an RPM) in order to get both callout (e.g. avcall) and callin (vacall) features. And then rip out both avcall and libobjc from Swarm. I worry that ffcall would be reliably packaged across platforms given it's very machine and operating system dependent nature, and that gnustep libraries would be packaged as binaries at all.

Marcus