Re: [Swarm-Support] x86_64 and message forwarding

From: Bill Northcott
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] x86_64 and message forwarding
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 10:13:57 +1000

On 30/08/2006, at 9:14 AM, address@hidden wrote:
Presumably, the
Leopard preview has 64 bit versions to support the promised 64bit
Cocoa.  On previous form, none of this source code will get released
until Leopard ships.

Tiger 10.4.7 (Darwin 8.7.2) with XCode 2.4 has support for compiling 64 bit on
Intel:

I know that, but there is no x86_64 support in the libraries so you can't actually use it!

OTOH I am sure that the Xcode 3.0 preview distributed with the Leopard preview at WWDC does have x86_64 libraries, but if I had a copy, I would be covered by the NDA. Basically one needs the MacOSX10.5 SDK.

.but no sign of source code for these modifications (e.g. version 5363) in the
Apple CVS area, in the various gcc.gnu.org Subversion branches.

or for that matter on the Darwin open source site, where previous Xcode tool sources are published. I don't think you get to see any of this unless you stump up for a Select ADC membership, and then you can't talk about it. Apple just wants to keep some stuff under wraps. So I guess we just to need to get the 32 bit port done and worry about 64 bit next year.

Cheers
Bill