Re: [Swarm-Support] development priorities (was Re: Membership in Swarm

From: Scott Christley
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] development priorities (was Re: Membership in Swarm Developmen Group)
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 13:00:06 -0500

On Nov 15, 2006, at 12:22 PM, Marcus G. Daniels wrote:

glen e. p. ropella wrote:

What would not be easy to do in any of the current tools is to analyze the structure on the fly and make future scheduling decisions based on
those graph properties.  None of the tools _support_ that sort of
reasoning.
It seems to me there's a question of whether one wants to create ever more complex individual behaviors, or understand collections of simpler ones. Is it the dynamics of a system that are interesting or elaborating the particular personalities in it? Typically we come at ABM with the idea we know what an agent does but not what agents do collectively. The point of simulating in the first place is that the analytics on the collection are not tractable.

Another viewpoint is that we know the behavior of the collective for this is what we can observe, so we want to know what individual behaviors can give rise to that collective action. This isn't so obviously characterized as a simulation task, more one of model selection, but if viewed from the meta-level of a set of parameterized models (versus a single model with a set of parameters) then simulation becomes an exploration of meta-models of individual behaviors. This is even more intractable which just gives even more reason to run on big computers! :-)

cheers
Scott