Re: [Swarm-Support] development priorities (was Re: Membership in Swarm

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] development priorities (was Re: Membership in Swarm Developmen Group)
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 11:17:13 -0700

Scott Christley wrote:
Another viewpoint is that we know the behavior of the collective for this is what we can observe, so we want to know what individual behaviors can give rise to that collective action. This isn't so obviously characterized as a simulation task, more one of model selection, but if viewed from the meta-level of a set of parameterized models (versus a single model with a set of parameters) then simulation becomes an exploration of meta-models of individual behaviors. This is even more intractable which just gives even more reason to run on big computers!
But this is a third thing, search and inference as a opposed to elaboration of a component detail...