[Swftools-common] wrong audio extraction

From: Pablo Rodríguez
Subject: [Swftools-common] wrong audio extraction
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 14:37:47 +0200

Hi there,

two months ago, I sent a message to the list (http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/swftools-common/2008-06/msg00033.html), but I got no reply (yet).

Using the CVS version of swftools from this morning, I still get these errors:

When extracting main mp3 stream from http://randomfoo.net/oscon/2002/lessig/free_culture.swf, I get the following error:

$ swfextract -m free_culture.swf
ERROR   Soundstream is not mp3 (2)

swfdump describes it as an mp3 stream:

[00e]   7600388 DEFINESOUND defines id 0036 (MP3 22Khz 16Bit mono)
[038]        18 EXPORTASSETS
                exports 0036 as "Lessig_32.mp3"

although extracting ID 36 from that file gives an mp3 file named 'output.swf'.

Is this a bug in swfextract or is there something wrong in the SWF file?

Trying to extract the main mp3 stream from http://ousia.justfree.com/orphanworks-original.swf (the Flash file has been generated with swfc and it has no main mp3 stream), outputs no file as it should be expected. But I think there should be a message warning that the given file contains no main mp3 stream (otherwise, it seems that the audio extraction has actually succeeded).

BTW, the only way to add sound is by the .sound tag, isn't it? Wouldn't it be possible to add a .mainsoundstream tag that adds a WAV (after converting to MP3) or MP3 file as main mp3 stream to the SWF file?

Thanks for your help,

Pablo