[Synaptic-devel] Re: apt_preferences and Synaptic

From: Mike Snitzer
Subject: [Synaptic-devel] Re: apt_preferences and Synaptic
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 16:29:48 -0700

On Wed, Mar 12 2003 at 12:14,
Gustavo Niemeyer <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Where you able to come up with a fix?
>
> I know how to fix that, but you'll have to give me some time.

Ok, good to know.

> > Also, the problem I previously reported on synaptic-devel (post: "bugs in
> > r75") with regard to rpm causing synaptic to sleep once it is invoked in
> > order to upgrade a package has reappeared in r81 (likely reintroduced in
> > r80 though).  r79 had "fixed" the problem but maybe it was just
> > coincidental?  svn diff -r79:80 may help?  If you need more info let me
> > know.
>
> In r79 a serious bug that has always been with synaptic was fixed. That
> bug could indeed make synaptic, and the running rpm, to sleep in some
> situations. OTOH, nothing has changed in r80 that could change the
> behavior of an installation.

Um, ok so I take it there yet another serious bug that is causing rpm to
sleep.

The same horribly fragile user interface fix that I described in the "bugs
in r75" post can be used to make r81 behave as expected.

That is: go into options and check the box for "Use terminal window when
running the package manager"; then click apply and ok.  And perform the
same upgrade/install that previosuly made synaptic go to sleep.  Also;
that box _never_ stays checked if you go back in to options.

So from a users point of view Synaptic r81 is behaving exactly as it was
prior to your r79 sleep fix.

Hope this helps in some way.
Mike