[Synaptic-devel] Re: apt_preferences and Synaptic

From: Gustavo Niemeyer
Subject: [Synaptic-devel] Re: apt_preferences and Synaptic
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 21:09:12 -0300

> Um, ok so I take it there yet another serious bug that is causing rpm to
> sleep.

Can you debug this further? We're using Synaptic extensively right now,
and don't have this problem here. There's probably something in your
environment that is poisoning Synaptic. Without more information about
this, I can't help you, even though I'd like to.

> The same horribly fragile user interface fix that I described in the
> "bugs in r75" post can be used to make r81 behave as expected.
>
> That is: go into options and check the box for "Use terminal window
> when running the package manager"; then click apply and ok.  And
> perform the same upgrade/install that previosuly made synaptic go to
> sleep.

It's probably something in the new error checking mechanism, but as I
said, I can't help you without more information. Attach a gdb/strace
whatever and see where you can get.

> Also; that box _never_ stays checked if you go back in to options.

Hummm.. indeed. I'll have a look at it.

> So from a users point of view Synaptic r81 is behaving exactly as it
> was prior to your r79 sleep fix.

You mean from your point of view, right? :-) That fix was effective
against the bug it intended to fix.

--
Gustavo Niemeyer

[ 2AAC 7928 0FBF 0299 5EB5  60E2 2253 B29A 6664 3A0C ]