Re: [Synaptic-devel] Synaptic development

From: Gustavo Niemeyer
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Synaptic development
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 10:59:19 -0200

> This was my fault. I checked in a working version again today.

Ok.. no problems. The idea is just to avoid breaking stuff in the
repository. If it's in a really bad state, do not commit. If it is
already working, or if it looks good, it's ok to commit, since it's
a development version after all.

Please, don't get it wrong. I do appreciate your work very much. It's
really nice to have someone doing the work you're doing on Synaptic.

> But I have to admit that I am very unhappy with with current vpaned. The
> radio/toggle-buttons just consume too much space.

I don't agree with you in this specific point. These buttons are
actually the most important part of synaptic. IMO, it's ok if they
consume some space, if that will make the access to that functionality
clearer.

> So for the long term I would suggest replacing the radio-toggle buttons.
> A possible way which came to my mind would be to replace the buttons
> with an options menu and one action button:
>
> The options menu would show the current status and would provide
> possible queuing actions in its menu. The most common action relating to
> the status of the package should be available by the action button.
>
> For example:

>       -> Action button: Remove

Notice that if a package is Installed, there are two possible actions.
The user may either Remove or Upgrade the package. That's why we use
toggle buttons after all. We don't have a 1x1 mapping.

>       -> Action button: Install

>       -> Action button: Undo/Reset

Same issue here.. a "Changed" package must tell what kind of change
is going to happen. The toggle button leaves that clear.

> I made a mockup:
> http://pimpldrive.pimpzkru.de/renate/synaptic/Bildschirmfoto.png
>
> But I don't have got any idea how and where to integrate such a control
> into the hpaned window.
>
> Furthermore I would like to see the label_info in the first tab breaking
> up into several well organized ones - and already appended this to the
> endless seeming todo list of Michael.

Fully agreed. I was talking about that with Michael yesterday. This tab
is in my own TODO list for a long time. I'll work on it soon. Once
it's broken, it will be easier for you and for others to improve the
look.

> Does Conectiva use a modified - crystalized - gtk stock icon theme? So
> that we perhaps could use gtk stock icons in the toolbar? It is not a
> big issue anyway.

I'm not sure, and will have to check that. I use WindowMaker.

> Do you plan a new conectiva release in the near future?

Not in the near future. It will happen somewhere in the first half
of 2004.

--
Gustavo Niemeyer
http://niemeyer.net