Re: [Synaptic-devel] Synaptic development

From: Gustavo Niemeyer
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Synaptic development
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 17:25:41 -0200

> I sometimes use a package installer that provides this information via a
> small
> column at the left in the pane.  The column signals with icons what the
> status of the package is or what action will be performed.  If one moves over
> the package a small info window is shown with additional pkg information.
> Further more left clicking on the package name pops up a menu, with the
> available actions.  And I must admit this is a very nice way of presenting
> the information and the possible actions.  All the times it feels just
> natural!!  To give you an idea of how it looks like, review the snapshot I
> made of the program:

Tell me quickly: what means the blue "v" and what means the black "v"? :-)

More seriously, while I don't like *these* specific icons, this scheme
looks pretty nice. I like the idea of better mini-icons, and a pop-down
menu like this. Then, if we really feel like the toggle buttons are
unuseful, we can remove them in a second stage.

> The snapshots can be retrieved from:
> http://linux01.gwdg.de/apt4rpm/ypm/ypm-menu.png
>
> ypm-deep-menu.png: all possible actions, available via the menu shown in
>      ypm-menu.png
> ypm-list.png: the list with actions in action
> ypm-menu.png: the initial pop menu
> ypm.png: the whole search pane (only 1 pkg found in this case)
>

> My 2ct.

Thanks for them!

--
Gustavo Niemeyer