Re: [Synaptic-devel] No help for KDE users

From: Michael Vogt
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] No help for KDE users
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 20:01:52 +0100

On Sat, Jan 24, 2004 at 01:34:41PM +0100, Sebastian Heinlein wrote:
> Am Sa, den 24.01.2004 schrieb Albert um 04:51:
> > The Help menu item when clicked yields a popup:
> >
> > No help viewer is installed
> > You need either the gnome viewer 'yelp' or the 'mozilla' browser to view
> > the synaptic manual.
> > Alternativly you can open the man page with 'man synaptic' from the
> > command line or view the html version located in the 'synaptic/html'
> > folder.
> >
> > What's so odd about the help file that it won't run in Konqueror or
> > Opera?
>
> Nothing, but perhaps we should add support for some more browsers. The
> KDE help doesn't work properly with the documentation registration
> (srcollkeeper) that we use. So we have to poll for available browsers.
>
> I will add this to the TODO.

I added "konqueror" to the list of tried browsers (svn r688). The real
goal must be (of course) to integrate proper with the kde help
system. As the help is written in docbook, it shouldn't be a big deal,
the problem is just time and my lack of understanding about the kde
help system.

We can add opera as easily or we provide a config option for the help
browser.

bye,
 Michael