Re: [Texmacs-dev] CXXFLAGS, LDFLAGS ignored

From: Ralf Treinen
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] CXXFLAGS, LDFLAGS ignored
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 22:32:52 +0100

On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 02:30:34PM +0100, address@hidden wrote:

> I think the best way is to let us know which platforms require -fPIC
> (linking to shared libs, huh?) so we can add it to the configure
> script.

The error occured on hppa (gcc 3.0) with texmacs 1.0.0.17 :

/usr/bin/ld: Objects/analyze.o: relocation R_PARISC_DPREL21L can not be
  used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
Objects/analyze.o: could not read symbols: Bad value
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

A complete build log can be found at

http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.php?&pkg=texmacs&ver=1.0.0.17-1&arch=hppa&stamp=1033107211&file=log&as=raw

This error was fixed when I supplied the -fPIC option (I should have
told you earlier -sorry).

Anyway, Debian policy is to always compile shared libs with -fPIC.
Hence, I have to do it for all architectures for which I compile
a shared binary (that is, all except alpha and ia64).

> be a bit messy in my opinion. I would rather find some doc specifying
> clearly how variables specified in the environment of ./configure
> should interact with the guessed values.

I don't know, either. However, it would be nice to have some way
to supply compile flags without overriding the options set by
configure.

Cheers -Ralf.