Re: [Therion] Vercors 2008

From: Eric Madelaine
Subject: Re: [Therion] Vercors 2008
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 11:24:22 +0100

Hello Thierry,

    I clearly support the 2level planning, target respectively at users
(beginners or not ) and at experts/developers.
    Do you already have ideas of other topics/people planned for the
first level (I have heard of a toporobot presentation) ? Should we try
to get people from the US survey software community also (I dont know
how many plan to be there).
    I also have heard rumors about some display of fancy computer
generated surveys. Anything official ? If  we want to have many nice
things displayed we have to advertise it widely; may be some sort of
contest ?

    Speaking of Cave Inventories... I will certainly offer to do a
presentation / demo of the software we are using in the Alpes-Maritimes.
    Otherwise, I'm nor very optimistic about the idea of "european
guidelines"... I've been in several french level groups working on this
topic, I've also been part of the HTO group, some 8 or 10 years ago... I
know about the UIS existing guidelines...
None of those has been very successful. The situation is particularily
bad in france, and of course not for technical reasons, but for
political reasons of people not wanting to loose control of their data.
I don't think I want to invest more work in this area, unless the
overall situation changes drastically.

Eric.