Re: [Therion] Vercors 2008

From: Julian Todd
Subject: Re: [Therion] Vercors 2008
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 11:38:06 +0000

thierrygonon wrote:
> I plan to make a full day of presentation and after
> that, a half-day round-table about CAVE INVENTORIES : I'd like to put on
> paper some general guidelines for european inventories, so that we can
> find on every national inventories in Europe some common features, at
> the same (top) level of records...

Well, there's no point in waiting two years to do something.  If I may
make an observation that no inventory can work unless it actually does
something -- you have to get rewarded for putting something into it
because we can't punish people for not putting data into it.  Here's a
contribution to the effort:

   http://seagrass.goatchurch.org.uk/~mjg/cgi-bin/map.py

All you need to post on the web is a location, scale, orientation and
bitmap of a survey of whatever (low) quality you are comfortable with
that doesn't infringe on your control of the data, and it can be seen in
the global geographical context on any cave portal someone chooses to
write (not necessarily on my own server).  This would form the backbone
of any cave inventory, and you guys can start adding a few examples to
it now.

Only after you've gathered some material examples from around the world,
and shown that there is a method of engaging people in the project, is
it worth doing a meeting to make it better organized.

Julian T.