tlf-devel

Re: [Tlf-devel] fldigi & tlf

From: Nate Bargmann
Subject: Re: [Tlf-devel] fldigi & tlf
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 17:51:00 -0600

* Wilbert Knol <address@hidden> [2007 Nov 22 15:10 -0600]:

> How this can be implemented under Linux I am not sure. I guess changes would
> need to be made to cwdaemon, and perhaps a near real-time kernel is needed...
> Another solution is to move cwdaemon to hardware (winkey) or, preferably, an
> open-source version of winkey.

There has been an interesting discussion on the Yahoo group LinuxHam,
which is the mailing list for Fldigi, concerning the generation of
Morse on Linux.  Their implementation involves using the sound card
since they can control the timing to a closer degree.  You might check
that group and read the thread archive.

The consensus is that even an RT Linux kernel has limitations due to
timing and that QRQ operation isn't feasable.  How well this is being
accomplished on the Win programs, I don't know.

73, de Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of
             My Kawasaki KZ-650 SR @            |     a GNU generation!"