Re: [vile] vile strange behavior in 9.5n

From: Gary Jennejohn
Subject: Re: [vile] vile strange behavior in 9.5n
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 12:51:37 +0100

Thomas Dickey writes:
> On Fri, 12 Jan 2007, Gary Jennejohn wrote:
> > I've now installed vile and xvile 9.5n under FreeBSD and noticed a change
> > in its behavior.
> >
> > I use xvile as the editor for writing my e-mails. The text used to flow
> > very smoothly but now I see strange hesitations when entering text, as
> > though xvile is doing spell-checking as I type.
>
> What was the older version?

9.5j. I'm the port maintainer under FreeBSD and just updated to 9.5n yesterday.

> It sounds (below) as if you're getting some
> effect from the locale support (which has been by default on for a few
> years (20021223).  The only recent changes I've made that are specific to
> xvile were restructuring the internal interfaces (shouldn't be
> user-visible).

I don't have locale set so it should be defaulting to 'C'.

Hmm, maybe something else in ports has changed and I'm now seeing this behavior
for the first time. I've been using vile for a good 10 years and this is the
first time I've been so unpleasantly surprised. I have aspell installed, could
it have something to do with that?

---
Gary Jennejohn / garyjATjennejohnDOTorg gjATfreebsdDOTorg garyjATdenxDOTde