Re: [vile] vile strange behavior in 9.5n

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] vile strange behavior in 9.5n
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 09:15:03 -0500

On Fri, Jan 12, 2007 at 02:55:52PM +0100, Gary Jennejohn wrote:
> OK, I can look into that. I think I'll go through 9.5k to 9.5m to see
> whether I can narrow it down. I have installed some new libraries from
> ports since I first generated 9.5j, so maybe that could be the reason.
> God knows that there's some really weird stuff put into libraries now
> adays.

yes - it's amazing how large things have gotten.

I use that FreeBSD 6.0 mainly for testing my code changes, so it's
not got much extra.  For test-builds there, I generally run just the
two flavors (vile with termcap and perl, xvile with Xaw and perl).
I also run a script periodically on my normal development that works
through the combinations of termcap, terminfo, ncurses, Xaw, Xm versus
small, restricted.  Something like 60 executables.  That takes an hour
or two (and since it's a multiboot system, I don't stay very long in
a port - usually don't run that script for a port).

> > Continuing the thought about libraries: if you're in POSIX locale and
> > are getting a translation of "ss", it sounds as if that's some xkb
> > setting that's being triggered in the newer version.
> >

> I have szet mapped to MOD1-_ so that it's in the same location as on a
> German keyboard. I also noticed that par was remapped to the paragraph
> symbol, a real PITA! I certainly don't have any mapping like that in my
> .xmodmap.

ok.  Looking over the patches, I don't see anything xvile-specific.

The fix for X extra-libs I happened to notice on another system where
xterm didn't link.  Since most of the ongoing changes I've been making
are in the portable section of vile, there aren't a lot of possibilities.
(It could of course be a plain old bug).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net